Wednesday 2 February 2011

Jaan Pehechaan Ho


Ok, so I'm sat here, it's gone 10pm, and I'm supposed to be working to hit a few deadlines, like I have been since 9am. As usual, I'm listening to the Killer Diller radio show. A new one was posted tonight so I downloaded and listened. First, Sideburn gets a shout out (for turning Sir Johnny Alpha onto a rare garage track he'd never heard), then he plays this song by Mohammed Rafi. He'd played it before, but I kept missing the artist, but this time I could research it straight away. I meant to type it into eBay, instead, I clicked YouTube and this video came up. I've never done illegal drugs, but this makes me feel like I have. It is just about the most intense, whacked-out 5:32 I've ever spent. My body is aching with all the joy it has just fed into me via my eyeballs. I love every single thing about it. And it was free and I don't feel paranoid after it.
Thanks Johnny Alpha! GI
PS If any of our Indian friends can find this song on vinyl for me I want it. Also, any info. What's he singing? What's the film? Did Rafi do anything else this brilliant?

UPDATE: Right, I didn't know it had been used on the Ghost World film (I don't get out much). Anyway, it's still incredible, but it might not be so new to all of you culture vultures.

7 comments:

Diplomate said...

I'm off to see my tailor first thing in the morning ..............

johnny alpha said...

Glad your digging this G, been in love with this whole package for some time. Took me 4 years to find the Indain EP this is off. It's from the Gumnaam moive, Mohamed Rafi (the dude in the white suit) was a seriously prolific arranger and singer, spoke to an Indian guy in work and he said Mohamed Rafi is a god in India!

Nick said...

Wow, want some of what there on!!!Awesome

Troy said...

HOW did I miss this before?
Oh well better late than never, Thanks G, this is some great stuff!

memsaab said...

Hi :) Glad to see the love for this great song here...you can download the soundtrack for the whole film (Gumnaam) including this one here: http://thirdfloormusic.blogspot.com/2007/12/shankar-jaikishan-gumnaam-1965.html

(It is a source of many other goodies from Hindi cinema)...BTW, the singer is Mohd Rafi; the guys who wrote the music are a very famous (in India) duo called Shankar-Jaikishan. The guy lip-synching was a well-known choreographer named Herman Benjamin :) Cheers!

memsaab said...

(and the girl in the gold dress is Laxmi Chhaya, one of the craziest dancers ever)...a friend of mine made this dvd compilation of some of her dances including Jaan Pehchan Ho:

http://memsaabstory.wordpress.com/2010/08/11/a-new-laxmi-chhaya-treat/

Okay, I'll stop now :)

Anonymous said...

So if anyone is looking beyond Jaan Pehchaan Ho, here is a short list of popular numbers from 60s and 70s.

http://samratvikram.blogspot.in/2013/02/where-to-head-after-jaan-pehchaan-ho.html