Monday 11 July 2011

Unicorn Sex Acts

I went to see Guitar Wolf with the world famous artist Stevie Gee on Friday night. he was very drunk when he said he would write a gig review. It's in two parts, first is the support band. GI

UNICORN SEX ACTS
When Bo Ningen stepped onto the stage I knew we were about to witness something special. All the members of the Japanese four-piece are slender-bodied to the point of fragility, graceful in their movements and with long straight black hair. They looked like true wizards of psychedelia.

When they unleashed their sound, it was far from fragile. It was epic and mind-bending. I was very near the front and I immediately entered into a swirling vortex of cosmic energy. This doesn’t happen to me that much anymore, but it felt mystical and welcoming, like I was part of something special.

The drums were hard and heavy, with driving Sabbathesque riffs combined with swirling psychedelic lead guitar noise and deep bass sound. But it was the vocals that took the combination to another level. They were hauntingly ethereal and jerkily punk in equal measure: the reverb was so strong, the eerie melodies echoed around our heads for minutes afterwards.

I felt like I had experienced something unearthly and wild. Bo Ningen, you are rare creatures indeed, both familiar and original. Seeing them live was like watching a field of unicorns make love to the universe. A spectacle to behold. I just wish it could have lasted longer.

Words and Photos Stevie Gee.
Check out Stevie Gee's blog

Below: Bo Ningen's singer with Stevie. Look how happy he is.

5 comments:

Josh said...

Saw this super androgynous band 3 times I think, while on tour with an American band Tweak Bird last year while in the UK.

Nick said...

Sounds great, can feel my ears starting to blead!!!

Mick P said...

Wow, wish I'd been there. Not sure if this clip is indicative, but it's f-good:
http://youtu.be/8aBXuO-rrCo

Sideburn Magazine said...

i'm glad they're not my upstairs neighbors.
BP

Full Lock or Death #29 said...

Awesome gig. Bo Ningen killed it! Loved the Guitar Wolf human pyramid of doom...